There are a number of reasons why a transaction has failed, the most common reasons for declines are:
- Do not Honor: The bank is unwilling to accept the transaction.
- Insufficient Funds: The account did not have sufficient funds to cover the transaction amount at the time of the transaction.
- Limit Exceeded: The attempted transaction exceeds the withdrawal limit of the account.
- Expired Card: Card is expired. The customer will need to use a different card.
- Invalid Credit Card Number: The customer entered an invalid payment method or made a typo in their credit card information.
- Invalid Expiration Date: The customer entered an invalid payment method or made a typo in their card expiration date. Have the customer correct their payment information and attempt the transaction again – if the decline persists, they will need to contact their bank.
- Card Issuer Declined CVV: The customer entered in an invalid security code or made a typo in their card information. Have the customer attempt the transaction again – if the decline persists, the customer will need to contact their bank.
- Based on Location: The bank declined based on location.
- Bank’s Fraud Rules: The bank's fraud rules blocked the transaction.